Communities have challenges. Libraries can help.
The Public Innovators Lab for Libraries, co-hosted by The Harwood Institute and the American Library Association, is a 2.5-day training to help library professionals learn how to Turn Outward and make more intentional choices in their work. Get off the path of the status quo, learn to Turn Outward and use the community as the reference point for your actions, and get on an alternate path of possibility and hope.
WHO SHOULD COME?
The Lab is most suited for public and academic library directors and library staff that are responsible for interacting with the community, developing and implementing programs, and working with library supporters. We encourage libraries to bring teams.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
- How to listen to and understand the community your library serves
- How to use what you are learning to improve your library's programs and initiatives
- How your library can help your community solve problems and improve the way people and organizations work together
- What it means to hold genuine authority, authenticity and accountability in your work - and how you can stay true to those values
WHAT WILL I GET?
- Access to a network of thousands of public innovators
- Three months of weekly tools, real world case studies, and tips on using what you’ve learned plus our monthly newsletter and Rich Harwood’s blog
- A Public Innovator Toolkit print ready for you to use with your staff and partners
- A library of videos that you can use to spread what it means to Turn Outward
Be prepared to work! The Lab is intensive, it will require you to think through real scenarios and apply your own challenges to the frameworks and tools being presented. It's not for passive learners. There will be group work, projects, small discussions, reflection time, and loads of application.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
- $1,495 for the first person from your library
- $995 for additional registrants (The additional registrant discount code will be in your first registrant confirmation email)
The fee covers your materials, a license to use the content with your colleagues and local partners, your training, and breakfasts and lunches during the training. Travel expenses, hotel and dinners are not included.
Space is limited and reserved on a first come, first served basis. We hope to see you in Atlanta!
Location & Accommodations
The Public Innovators Lab for Libraries will take place at:
The Loudermilk Center
40 Courtland Street North East
Atlanta, GA 30303
We have a room block at The Ellis in downtown Atlanta. In your registration confirmation email you will receive a special link to be included in the room block. The rooms are limited, so please make your reservations early.
Participants can also make their hotel reservations at a number of hotels near the center.