New Tools for United Ways
The Harwood Institute is excited to share four new tools, created in partnership with the Indiana Association of United Ways, specifically to help United Way professionals deepen their impact in communities. These tools are primarily for United Way staff that have been trained in the Institute's approach through a Public Innovators Lab or Workshop.
Get Your Board Turned Outward
- Use this Board Engagement Checklist for practical tips on ways you can take advantage of Harwood tools and frameworks with your board to get them focused on community and supporting of your efforts to build the discipline of Turning Outward.
- Use this Board Engagement Roadmap to informally assess the extent to which your board is focused on community.
Strengthen Your Investments
- Use the Investment Tool to identify practical ways you can shift your investment model to be more focused on improving community conditions and not only funding direct services.
Engage Donors Better
- Many donors want more than to be check writers. This Donor Engagement Tool will give you some easy, practical ways you can make improvements to how you connect with current and potential donors.
- Use the Organizational Culture Tool to help you think about ways to spread the practice of Turning Outward across your United Way so that it isn't simply a set of practices for one team but a way in which the entire organization approaches its mission.
Want to Go Deeper?
Staff at nearly 250 United Ways globally have adopted our approach or used our tools and frameworks. If you want to learn the practice of Turning Outward, you can:
- Get trained through a Public Innovators Lab. Information on the next Lab, a virtual course, can be found here. You can now get trained without the expense and time of traveling at a reduced registration rate.
- If you prefer in-person training, stay tuned for dates for the next National Harwood Public Innovators Lab at United Way Worldwide later this fall.
- Work with us to train and coach your team and your partners in our practice. Learn more about our products or contact us to discuss.